The 2022 Roller Coaster Competition
The 2022 Roller Coaster Competition was held on Wednesday morning April 20, 2022. Both High School student teams and Middle School student teams participated. This year’s challenge was Roll A Die!
Thank you to all of the participants the 2022 competition.
Following are the winning teams and schools:
- First Place Overall: Team “Everest Expedition” – Urbandale High School
- Second Place Overall: Team “Class of 2022” – Urbandale High School
- Third Place Overall: Team “√gr” – Urbandale High School
- First Place Middle School: 7th Grade Team – Montezuma Middle School
- Second Place Middle School: 6th Grade Team – Montezuma Middle
- School Third Place Middle School: Team “I don’t Know” – Dallas Center – Grimes Middle School
- Best Theme: Team “√gr” – Urbandale High School
- Best Technical Skill: “Team 1” – Urbandale High School
- Best Presentation: team “The Geese Squad” – Urbandale High School
Younger participants may be interested in Roller Coaster Promotional Video.
All students participating in the competition must submit upon arrival a signed Youth Participant and Parental Permission Agreement (pdf)
Map of roller coaster drop-off and parking area: pdf
For high school seniors, who participate in this event and attend Iowa State University to study engineering beginning Fall 2022, you may apply to receive a $500 Tau Beta Pi Scholarship!
Requirements for scholarship eligibility:
- Graduating from high school this spring semester.
- Attending Iowa State University in the Fall 2022.
- Enrolled in an engineering major.
Requirements for scholarship submission:
- High school transcript
- One letter of recommendation
- A 500-1000 word essay that discusses the question, “What responsibilities do engineers have to society, to the companies for whom they work, and to themselves?”
For the full description of the scholarship requirements, please look at the following document: 2022 Scholarship Application.