Designed by Antson Marston, who also supervised its construction, the Water Tower was built in 1895, one year after a severe water shortage forced the cancellation of classes. It was the first elevated steel water tower west of the Mississippi. Standing 168 feet above campus, the Water Tower remains the tallest structure on campus. The tank itself is 40 feet tall and 24 feet in diameter with a capacity of 162,000 gallons. The use of the Water Tower was discontinued in 1978 when the university switched to a city water system.